Thursday, August 11, 2005

Fish Snobs.


Before moving to Juneau, I had only read about Salmon spawning. Now that we are here, we can see them in a stream right beside our house. It's really pretty amazing to watch. However, I'm not looking forward to the smell when they all start to die. I believe the one in this picture is a Chum salmon, also known as Dog salmon. That is because the Alaskans disdane this salmon and feed them to their dogs. I have to wonder, do you know the difference between the salmon when you go to the grocery store?

3 Comments:

At August 13, 2005, Blogger Margaret Feinberg said...

Very cool photo! I really like it. You're inspiring me to pull out the camera.

 
At August 27, 2005, Blogger Bill said...

That looks like a pink salmon (humpy). I was just up in Alaska and I now have a smoked Dog (salmon) in my 'fridge. And yes, you can tell the difference in taste. Nice photos.

 
At August 27, 2005, Blogger Heather Neely said...

Hmm...I guess I need to do some more salmon studies! I think I thought this one was a Chum because it was stripey. Mmmm, smoked salmon sounds good.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home