Thursday, January 26, 2006

Homebuilt

Heather's hobby is photography and my hobby is competitive shooting. We each participate in the other's hobby as seen over the past few weeks and we've had some successes. Since Heather is coming back this weekend, I figured I should seize the moment and do a post that showcased some of what I do in my free time. The gun shown above is a M1911 chambered in .45 cal. I ordered all the parts and peices from Brownells and, with the help of a Gunners Mate at my first unit, put it all together in a marathon 14 hour pistol build.

Now it doesn't take that long to slap the peices together, but I was building a gun that could be used in competition and that meant many of the parts needed to be custom fit to each other to ensure the least amount of 'wiggle' and hopefully make the gun as accurate as possible (custom built guns by master gunsmiths cost a couple grand and can take several months to build). It took a lot of elbow grease and patience since any excessive trimming would either mess with the accuracy or ruin the part. We started before noon and didn't finish until about 0230 the next morning. A few hours of sleep and I took it out to the range for the first shot. It took a few hundred rounds to break in properly, but it didn't blow up in my hand AND it was more accurate than I was. Mission accomplished.

It's fun to shoot and compete with. Heather prefers it to any of the smaller caliber center-fire pistols we have and I have to agree. The gun has a light (appx. 4lb) and smooth trigger that makes keeping the sights aligned properly relatively easy.

If you want to see some truely great pictures of guns, there's no better place than Oleg Volk's A Human Right or Gun Gallery.

UPDATE: Amazingly, this week's Carnival of Cordite is a special .45 edition. Too bad I didn't enter this as an entry.

2 Comments:

At January 27, 2006, Anonymous AK Sapper said...

Nick,
Looks good. Are those Millet adjustable sights?
Where are you shooting competitions in Juneau?

Hunter
Ketchikan

 
At January 27, 2006, Blogger nick.n said...

Actually, I think they're Bo-Mar sights - at least the rear one. It's been a few years since I put it together and don't remember which ones I selected. The only thing I'd have done differently was get a frame with some front strap checkering. Sometimes at the end of a match my fore arm gets tired and the gun slips a bit with the recoil.

Unfortunately, I've only been in Juneau since July and haven't found any leagues or matches. I think some of that starts when the weather gets better. If you know of any, please feel free to let me know.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home